December 20, 2019
10 Questions To Prepare For An Insurance Management Interview
by Scott Thompson
The key to a successful management interview is displaying a well-rounded background. Insurance companies and brokers want duality, someone who can be in the weeds one minute and the next operate at a 30,000 foot strategic level. Another way to phrase this is if you the ability to walk out of the board room and into the bullpen and vice versa with ease.
10 Questions To Prepare For
- What practice groups do you oversee?
- How much premium and/or revenue are you responsible for managing? Do you manage P&L?
- In your organizational structure, do you manage employees or are you a ‘manager of managers’?
- How involved are you in decisions regarding best practices, policies, procedures and overall operational efficiencies?
- What “additional duties” have you taken on outside your traditional job description?
- What relationships can you bring to this position that will impact your success in this role?
- Who do you report to? How are those people or the organizational structure supporting or hindering your success?
- What are the most enjoyable parts of being a manager, and what aspects of your job do you want to change?
- What is one thing that you wish you had more control over?
- How do you describe your philosophy on personnel development and employee leadership?