December 19, 2019
20 Interview Questions for Insurance Account Managers
by Scott Thompson
Interview preparation is the most important first step in any job search. Knowing what the company will ask and how you should prepare your answers makes all the difference to a successful AND enjoyable process. As insurance recruiting specialists, we know exactly what agencies will ask client service managers. Here are questions for all professionals and niche specific ideas to get you started!
Top Insurance Interview Questions For Account Managers
- What comprises your current book of business?
- What is the structure of the sales & service team you work on?
- What do your day-to-day responsibilities entail?
- What challenges do you face in your current position?
- Would you describe your role as team-oriented or individual contributor?
P&C interviews are centered on size and scope of role.
- What types of niches or verticals have you worked in?
- Do you service a high volume, SBU book or fewer accounts that are mid-market and risk management?
- Are you responsible for marketing new and renewal business?
- Do you have a lot of client facing responsibilities like policy reviews and renewal presentations?
- Have you worked in a paperless environment? Which AMS systems do you know?
Health & welfare interviews focus on variation in client consulting.
- Do you work with public, private or non-profit businesses?
- What level of client contact do you deal with, i.e. HR, CFO or CEO?
- Do you have experience working with self-funded, level funded and fully funded business?
- Are you an Excel wizard?
- Are your strengths behind the scenes (analytics, benchmarking and reporting) or client facing (presentations, communication, enrollments)?
For Personal Lines
Personal lines interviews always revolve around market and product knowledge.
- Which lines of coverage are you proficient with?
- Do you have carrier underwriting relationships? Which online quoting platforms have you used?
- Do you have experience working with high net worth or SR22 Accounts?
- Do you have inside sales responsibilities and new business quotas?
- Do you support a producer or handle all aspects of quoting, onboarding, service and renewals?